Monday, April 12, 2010

1st week in Woodburn: AWESOME!!!

Greetings Y'AAALLLLLLLLLLL!

haha, sorry... I had a Jeff Foxworthy flashback haha. How are you all doing? Thank you guys so much for sending me your emails and for the updates on whats new and exciting with you guys!

Things here in woodburn have been CRAZY busy this last week! Getting to know new names of new investigators, meeting the branch presidency, meeting families in the branch, and all around working like burros! I feel bad cause I really don't even have that much time to write today, so I'll try to give a brief overview of what's been new with me here.

Okay, first I have to tell you guys about an investigator that we have named Ines (E-NESS). She is a middle aged woman with five children, and is super freaking awesome. When we go over to teach her and her daughters, the two oldest (9 & 14) have WRITTEN REPORTS about what they learned from the reading they did, as well as how it applies to them... THEY DO THIS BY THEMSELVES!!!! Holy fuh-reaking crap!! I was absolutely blown away! Not only that, but they seriously give better prayers than just about anyone I can think of except maybe apostles. Anyways, absolutely amazing!

Second, I have to tell you about the service opportunity we have here. There is a lady named Ellen who has a son named Clyde who, when he was 15, was in a serious car accident that left him crippled. He is now in his 50's, and we help him do some physical therapy on mondays, wednesdays, and fridays. He is such a sweet guy. He can't really talk, but he is so super nice, and there's one rad thing... he has a 1968 Chevy Impala with only 26,000 original miles on it, and it is completely original! Oh my goodness if I had more time, I would send you the pics haha. Oh by the way dad, they said they'd sell it to you for 20k :-P It has a 327 small-block, and that thing sounds MEAN!

Okay next we have a member named Pedro here. Pedro is the freakin' man! His story though, is that ten years ago, he was out looking for his girlfriends cat that had run away in a park, and while he was there, someone mistook him for a gang member, and he was shot in the head. He survived, but had to re-learn how to walk, talk, etc, and also lost some of the motor function in his right leg and arm. He now is back to about 75% with everything he is doing, but he can't read. Aside from that though, I have never met someone who is so happy, kind, and super funny too. He has been exercising a ton, and he loves to challenge missionaries to an arm wrestle with his left hand... and he ALWAYS WINS! He is seriously like an ox! He kicked my butt haha.

Next, we have something that made me really stop and think... We have two investigators that are some of the kindest, sweetest people I've ever met. Their names are Vicente and Ramon... The things that I came to find out is that they are illiterate. I was shocked. I always thought of that as something that happened way back in the days of the pioneers back when they didn't have child labor laws or something, but it's a reality nowadays... and wow it was humbling. These men are so humble, and so ready to learn, and I absolutely love them!

Sorry I'm flying throuhg this, but yeah. The branch... oh my goodness I LOVE IT! They're the sweetest people alive, and I absolutely love it here in Woodburn. It's a little bit smaller, but the members are so kind and willing to help it's great. Elder Rangel is the freakin man - I love working with him. We work really hard, but we also have a great time. This past week, in a period of five days, we taught 19 lessons, which was amazing haha. I absolutely love it here. We have so much fun while we're doing it too... I think that's what I love most.

Oh, and the city of woodburn is totally hispanic haha. I really think they should change the name to... oh goodness... how about michoacan haha because that's where everyone is from.

Anyways, I've gotta fly on outta here, but I love you guys so much have a great week bye!

-Elder Mooney

1 comment:

  1. I am so relieved to hear he likes it there! I was really worried about him. I am glad he likes his companion too.

    ReplyDelete